Skip to Content

Champagne glass

« Back to Glossary Index

– Flute:
Champagne flute is a stem glass with a tall tapered conical shape.
– It generally holds about 180 to 300ml of liquid.
– Developed in the early 18th century for sparkling wine.
– Designed to retain carbonation by reducing surface area.
– Minimizes oxygen-to-wine ratio enhancing aroma and taste.

– Coupe:
Champagne coupe is a shallow, broad-bowled saucer shaped stemmed glass.
– Capable of containing 180 to 240ml of liquid.
– Fashionable in France from the 18th century to the 1970s.
– Also used for cocktails served up to prevent spilling.
– Popular in the United States from the 1930s to the 1980s.

– Tulip:
– Tulip glass has a wider, flared body and mouth compared to a flute.
– Some prefer it for better aroma appreciation.
– Allows wine flavor to be better expressed.
– Criticized flutes for impairing full range of aromas and taste.
– Offers a different drinking experience than a traditional flute.

– Double-wall stemware:
– Developed in the 1960s to slow heat transfer from hand to beverages.
– Inner and outer walls separated by a gap filled with air.
– Poor thermal conductor.
– Helps maintain beverage temperature.
– Ideal for keeping champagne and other drinks chilled.

– References:
– Sources debate whether narrow flute mouth allows sufficient aroma access.
– Various authors and publications discuss the use of different glassware for champagne.
– Critiques and praises of flute, tulip, and coupe glasses.
– Discussions on the impact of glass shape on aroma and taste perception.
– Articles on the evolution of champagne glassware and preferences.

Champagne glass (Wikipedia)

A champagne glass is stemware designed for champagne and other sparkling wines. The two most common forms are the flute and coupe, both stemmed; holding the glass by the stem prevents warming the drink. Champagne can also be drunk from a normal wine glass, which allows better appreciation of the flavor, at the expense of accentuating the bubbles less.

Champagne flute and bottle
Champagne coupe
Champagne tower
« Back to Glossary Index